Friday, January 8, 2010

Ladies, Start your SEEDS!!!


It is that time of year!! I am so excited to be gardening on our very own homestead this year!

Believe it or not, it is time to start some of your seeds.

I do not claim to be an expert gardener. I am simply sharing what we are doing in order to have a sustainable harvest this coming year.

You will need:

1. seeds - may I suggest purchasing heirloom seeds so that you can participate in harvesting seeds from your plants this year. This will save on costs next year! and you will have some to share. It is not that much more to buy heirloom seeds. Besides, the quality of the plant and the savings next year will be worth it. May I recommend http://www.rareseeds.com/. This site has provided us with good seed and good service.

2. Seed starting mix- I bought a bag of Jiffy seed starting mix at Home depot for about $4.

3. Small containers in which to start the seeds. Egg cartons work fine for us. I clean them out and keep them until it is time.



SEEDS TO START IN JANUARY:

tomatoes
potatoes
beets
broccoli
carrots
cauliflower
swiss chard
chinese cabbage
eggplant
lettuce (my favorite)
English peas
hot peppers
bell peppers
radishes

Ofcourse you want to plant only what you are going to eat.

May I also recommend the following books:



I use these books on a regular basis for reference, how to, and ideas for my garden.

No comments: