Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tribute to the Dishtowel

(Borrowed this pics offline..flickr)

I have recently discovered a love for dishtowels. They have truly aided me in keeping a clean kitchen. I thought I would pass along my system:



#1 Buy some pretty dishtowels - A dear Mrs. S bought me a pack of yellow ones

#2 Make a dirty dishtowel disposal - I use a little basket in my laundry room

#3 You will use 1 dishtowel for each meal/meal cleanup

#4 Lightly wet the towel with warm/hot soapy water and wipe the counters,high chairs & stove.

#5 Put the soiled dishtowel in its disposal

#6 Pull out a clean towel and place on the counter for the next meal (use this same towel for light cleanups before your next meal)

#7 I wash a load of dishtowels either with my towels or alone every couple of days

Seriously this has made my kitchen cleaning SO much easier. If there is any type of a mess, I just take the dishtowel that is on my counter, wipe up the mess, and set the towel back.

This cuts down on trash & expenses!!

No paper towels to throw away or buy!

Somewhere there is this sweet old grandma rocking in her rocker smiling, thinking "It took you 5 years of marriage to figure that out?"

3 comments:

Living the Good Life said...

Ashley, love this post! I would love to say I use one dish towel per meal, but I can't! I guess we are really messy people! I do need to buy me some new ones though. There is something about a fresh, clean, pretty towel that just brightens the day!
Kayla

Mother of 5 Smooth Stones said...

That is something in the Flylady system: along with keeping your sink shiny, one of the first baby steps is a fresh dishtowel every day. She even suggests ones with the days of the week on them to kickstart our daily load of laundry habit since our pefectionist inner brat will want the days of the week to match the actual days of the week they are out! :-)

Love your ideas though!

Mrs. Deering said...

Awesome idea! I like the flour sack towels my grandma always used.
I'm going to try it!