Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Meek and Quiet Spirit

1 Peter 3:4 (King James Version)
4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

1 Peter 3:4 (New International Version)
4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

Now this passage is a call for Christian women to example Christ to thier husbands in this way. I actually think that the NIV translation is the one I understand best.

Ashley's version:
So this is saying to me to let my inner self (thoughts, desires, intentions) be meek (gentle, mild of temper, soft, not easily provoked or irritated) and quiet (peaceable, not turbulent, not giving offense, mild, contented) and this is important and valuable to God.

I can't help but feel that this must be some sort of dirty joke. THIS is of value to God? Well I am just about as opposite as one can get with this description. I feel like I am constantly aggrivated and very easily provoked. I do love peace but very often have high levels of anxiety and feelings of doubt in myself and my ability to complete the task before me (raise this family). I am careful not to offend people but very often I stick my foot in my mouth. And most importantly I know God "loves" me but I want to be of "value" to him.

"Lord, Please help me as I learn to better serve you. I want to example you by loving my children and husband unconditionally and with a meek and quiet spirit. Please quicken my heart when I begin to act/react in a way that is unbecoming to you. I do realize that my little girls will be a product of what I show them to be. I do not want them to be the me they see now. Please help me to change and get my heart in line with your word before it is too late. I also know that the tone of my marriage and home will be set by me. Help me to think of them when I am having a bad day. I want to put my emotions in check so Billy and the kids can feel happiness everyday.

In Jesus Name I pray,

Amen"

Billy,

It is my desire to love you with an unconditional love just the way God loves us. Please be patient with me while I learn. I am sure I will make mistakes but know I love you and you are my one and only, till death do us part.

Abigail, Payton, Hannah, William, and Wyatt,

Mommy loves you more than anything. I am so glad God has allowed me to have you in my life. I make a lot of mistakes and sometimes I have not been the sweet and loving quiet spirited mother God has called me to be. I am sorry for that. From this day forward I will do my best to love you patiently, to kiss more bo-bo's, scratch more backs, and read more books. Follow me, I will lead you in the right direction.

No comments: