Sunday, December 27, 2009

Turkey Stew


I am excited to report that my first 3 days of my new goal have gone exceptionally well. (except we did spend $17 today on McDonald's chicken nuggets and a newspaper)(we stayed in town too long and the kids were starving and we ALL know that hungry kids make stressed out parents!)


1. I cooked the BBQ sanwiches and it was edible. Note to self: next time you are turning any beef into pulled beef (beef falling apart in BBQ sauce) start the crockpot in the morning when you make breakfast. My sandwiches were like sliced beef bbq...not my style.


2. The Turkey Stew was surprisingly FANTASTIC! What I did was put the turkey bones with meat intentionally left on (you dont have to carve it so closely to get all the meat off) into a crockpot Saturday night. Sunday morning very early (too early if you ask me) I was awoken by a delicious smell in my house....it was the turkey simmering in water and spices. I added the leftover roasted potatoes and half a bag of frozen (gasp) mixed veggies. *remember I am on a budget now and that means I HAVE to use those bags of frozen stuff/or canned stuff that has been hiding out waiting for its expiration date to be tossed into the trash.


I walked in the door from church with an optimistic attitude and the stuff was GREAT! We put a roasted red potato in each bowl, mashed it, covered it with the veggies & turkey and added some of the broth. It was really good. So there was a free meal from leftover Christmas turkey.


***I forgot to mention that Billy did pull the turkey out of the crock, deboned it, and put the edible meat back in all before I got out of bed this morn. He know I hate that part.....awe.....

2 poor man meals down, 5 more to go!!

No comments: